Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Mozzarella Milanese

I had to post something for my new friend Moo.

Mozzarella Milanese - Cheese Sticks With Marinara Dipping Sauce. These are so easy to make. Absolutely delicious and fairly low calorie considering what they are. Mozzarella is made with skimmed milk so its lower in fat than other cheeses, and the use of egg whites and olive oil also helps.

1 lb of Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup of flour
2 eggs beaten (egg white substitute)
1/2 cup of dried bread crumbs (I use Panko)
1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes (optional)
1/2 cup of olive oil

Cut cheese into slices about 1 inch by 4 inches (typically the length of the loaf of cheese). Roll cheese in flour then dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs (Panko are Japanese coarse breadcrumbs, they give a wonderful crispiness and texture, but any bread crumbs will suffice.) Make sure cheese is thoroughly coated in mixture. Heat oil over medium heat until hot, then add cheese to oil carefully taking care not to spatter. Cook about 2 minutes or until they start to brown. Drain onto paper towels. Serve with Marinara sauce for dipping.

9 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Sounds yummy and I can make a gluton free version so much I miss breadcruby snacks

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Fortune said...

Panko?

Excuse me for me ill cooking ways...


What is Panko?

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Moo, they are, super delicious! where are you moving to! Maybe cheese fondue should be served at this feast.

Sue, most health food stores sell a plethora of gluten free foods these days. You can get gluten free breadcrumbs or buy gluten free bread and make your own. I found this site that might help you:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/landing/12.html

craig, i got the same message to go to your blog on my other blog.

missfortunehunter, Panko are Japanese bread crumbs (i thought i mentioned that in the post). I dig your blog by the way.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Thank-you Neel I'll check it out

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Neel said...

tasha, they are!

Sue, let me know how they work out.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger shyloh's poetry said...

WOW you cook too?!?!? that is awesome. I think I will try this.

YUMMM!

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Pallavi said...

THat sounds so rich... I stay away from cheese though... too rich ... :) but sounds yumm

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Can't get your other blog to load, the blog-o-giste rides again

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Neel said...

shyloh, yes i love to cook, but i guess that's probably pretty apparent.

pallavi, it is rich, but its important to understand that anything can be consumed in moderation, that goes for most anything in life. when we try to deny ourselves things we crave such as sweets, or salty items we have a much higher risk of binging. these are made with lowfat cheese and fried in lowfat oil, you can eat just one, then follow it with a healthy meal!

Sue, I have been having that problem today also. i am going to post a recipe for you because i know how much you like Itallian food. Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home